Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 15:39:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
>  > > provided by a future Milo-like FreeBSD console program).  The SRM
>  > > console is available for every machine I can think of with the
>  > > exception of the XL series personal workstations.  For most machines,
>  > > the SRM console is freely available from
>  > > ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware.  For EB* motherboards,
>  > > one can order the "Alpha EBSDK and Firmware Update Kit" from Digital
>  >
>  > Just to note that the "Alpha PC" designs which people like Aspen
>  > Systems ship (http://www.aspsys.com) come only with the ARC console
>  > unless you're willing to pay $175 more for SRM.  This is not made
>  > freely available anywhere - I looked into that thoroughly before
>  > writing out the check. :-)
>
> Actually, most of these "Alpha PC" type systems (including Aspen's
> Durrango & all Enorex's systems) are just re-packaged DEC AlphaPC164
> or EB164 motherboards.  Firmware for which is included in the
> above-mentioned Alpha EBSDK.

The company I work for will be selling Aspen Alpha PC's as well as just
Alpha PC stuff in general.  I would like to have FreeBSD available as
a no-cost default O/S option.  (just a fyi)

If it means anything, I've had the impression so far that by default
everything comes with the ARC console, and you have to pay more for the
SRM console (the amount will vary, I've seen the SRM console cost up to
$2,969 for the official ''digital Unix SRM console'').

I have no idea what EBSDK is.

Basically, what I'm saying is please try to keep the low-cost alternatives
in mind.  If FreeBSD was only available off the SRM console that means to
use FreeBSD you would have to pay an extra wad of cash just to switch from
the ARC to the SRM console so it'll boot (people have the same problem
when wanting Digital Unix vs NT).

-Brandon Gillespie