Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:33:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MiniBSD (or whatever we'd call it...)

Hi!

Well, I must admit I'm surprised by so many (positive) comments... Perhaps
they are related to recent discussions on PR :-)) because such version
could make excellent demo system (IFF correctly prepared).

It's a toy, after all - for any serious purpose people should use normal
installation. But I feel encouraged, and (when time permits) I'll try to
prepare something like this.

And now some comments to the comments :-) :

* Concerning the use of normal MSDOSFS (as opposite to one file mounted on
vn): MSDOSFS lacks ownership and permissions. Unless some friendly FS
hacker writes something like UMSDOS, I'd incline to use a file with FFS on
a vn driver.

* the idea with using Windows swap file is fine, but this file doesn't
exist on some machines (e.g. on mine). But this can be easily remedied...

* this needs testing (obviously), but I suspect there is a combination of
VM sysctls (which John Dyson mentioned) which would allow for running
Netscape in reasonably reduced memory/swap space. Of course, one of my
goals here is to assure users they can start that many processes (like
Netscape) without fear of crashing. This surely needs testing.

* "slowness" of such solution (in terms of slow FFS->vn->DOS) is not so
important - I don't expect people to use it as a server :-) - it's just a
demo (though fully working).

* If that was unclear, I repeat: I'm thinking about the _distribution_set_,
i.e. something containing all the pieces prepackaged and checked to work
as expected. Which is sometimes not true with normal installation and
later added packages...

Andrzej Bialecki