Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:36:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> personally, I always thought it would be kool to setup a version of
> FreeBSD that pretty much removed the vfs system, and most other parts
> that have to support userland apps...
>
> after that, you create a kernel thread or something similar that turns
> the box into a switch...  then you simply boot the machine up, handle
> the forwarding of packets between interfaces...
>
> this of course means that you could dump the tcp/udp stacks along with
> a number of other things...  you'd have something better than a straight
> ethernet bridge...
>
> think, FreeBeSwitcheD on a floppy... :)

I like this idea! This would make for really minimal FreeBSD-based
router/switch, which wouldn't have the bloat of FS related things.

It would have to have some userland, though, in order to manage the
configuration, routing protocols and SNMP requests.

I wonder how Cisco's are doing this, from the operating system's point of
view... When you configure the type of routing protocol on a Cisco, it
looks very similar to starting a new process (e.g.  ospf router), and when
you look into memory statistics, it seems that their IOS has a notion of
processes...

Andrzej Bialecki