Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 22:27:20 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things moving around on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> We've overflowed our 1st 4Gb partition there and now need to go to a
> 2nd, but that means splitting off some of the bits which were
> traditionally confined to one filesystem, and I'm still not sure what
> the effects on the mirrors is going to be.  If you mirror individual
> collections, like pub/FreeBSD/2.1.7.1-RELEASE/, then you should be OK
> since mirror should follow the symlink.  If you're grabbing all
> of pub/FreeBSD, however, what you're going to see afterwards is a link:
> 	2.1.7.1-RELEASE -> ../../.3/FreeBSD/2.1.7.1-RELEASE
>
> I'm not quite sure what the "best" work-around for this is, but
> I just thought I'd mention it.  Sorry folks, but it had to happen
> sooner or later - the ports and packages are huge! ;-)

	How about providing a listing of symlinks that can be setup in
the mirror files individually?  My familiarity with mirror isn't that
great, but I believe that the first thing that would happen would be
when you do the initial mirror, it would try to rm the subdirectories
that are the result of the symlinks, but I also believe there are various
'exclude' directives that could be used for that...

	The only thing that the mirrors would require would be a listing
of those subdirectories that are symlink'd so that appropriate mirror
'branches' could be created...

	Just a thought...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org