Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:38:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>, Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, James Howard wrote:
>

> > Would it be legal to strip the BSD license of say, inetd and put a GPL on
> > it?  Many in the Linux community seem to think this is true but I thought
> > that'd be just as bad as my BSD licensed GCC distribution :)
>
> No. You'd have to modify the GPL to include the copyright and BSD clauses.

There is also the clause that says "You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
herein.", which could be taken to mean you can't use BSD-licensed
code, since that requires "This product includes software developed
by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors." be
attached to derived works.

> But what would be interesting is: I'm fairly sure that under the terms of the GPL
> the end-user may opt to use a later version at their discretion. Now, if one were
> to buy out the FSF...

That is something that always bothered me.  I have taken it as the "When we
realize that we won't take over the world, we will go to a sensible license"
clause.

David Scheidt