Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 21:19:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Procedure for introducing new errno values?

After some chat with various consumers of the extended attribute code, as
well as interested parties in the Linux realm who are looking at providing
a similar service over the Linux kernel, we've concluded that the current
errno message range doesn't contain a value appropriate for ``Extended
attribute not defined'' -- similar possibilities, such as ENOENT or
ENODEV, do not uniquely describe the error condition and can be confusing.
For example, ``File not found'' following a ``getextattr md5 /kernel''
suggests that /kernel was not found, not that the md5 attribute was not
found.

What is the correct procedure for adding new errno values?  Presumably
errno.8, src/sys/errno.h, as well as presumably some other files (perhaps
in libc) for defining the string version, et al?  I've also noticed that
there is an errno.h in both /usr/include and /usr/include/sys.

I am proposing EEXTATTR ("Extended attribute not defined"), which would be
returned when a consumer of the VOP_GETEXTATTR() call attempted to
retrieve an undefined attribute name.

  Robert N M Watson