Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:13:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel editing tools.

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Kevin Brunelle wrote:

> Sorry if you have heard this before, or if it is annoying. I just can't
> seem to find any information on this.
>
> I have been poking around my kernel for quite some time now, and I have
> been doing it with various text editors and programs of that nature. It
> suddenly occured to me that there might be a better way to go about
> this. So I ask you, are there any programs that make reading and editing
> the kernel sources any easier? I was thinking about possibly writing a
> utility to do something like this, if one cannot be found. I don't
> pretend to be super skilled; I just want some honest advice. Surely you
> aren't all hacking away on vi or the *other* editor.
>
> Well, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Heh.  Mostly I use vi and more, along with liberal use of grep and
occasionally (fear) sed.  In the past, I've used glimpse for faster
searching of the source tree.  And cvs commands such as log, diff,
annotate, and commit (!) are invaluable.  When browsing less familiar
source trees, such as the Linux kernel source, I like using web-based
source cross-referencing.  As Mike Smith points out, an excessive number
of open xterm windows makes life a lot easier--the larger the screen, the
more productive I am.  Right now I have about 15 source files open in
various vi sessions, and I'm coveting the Apple 22" display...