Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:23:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Call for *quick* review] architecture-specific manpages

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> The attached patch implements one nice feature of original BSD man(1),
> to look into the machine-specific subdirectory, specifically:
>
> : As some manual pages are intended only for specific architectures,
> : man searches any subdirectories, with the same name as the current
> : architecture, in every directory which it searches.  Machine specific
> : areas are checked before general areas.  The current machine type may
> : be overridden by setting the environment variable MACHINE to the name
> : of a specific architecture.
>
> This would eliminate the need to MLINK every arch-specific file to the
> parent directory, and would allow us to have both architecture-specific
> and generic manpages with the same name in the same section.

It's a good idea to check the results of calls like snprintf or you can
get truncation bugs.  I'd recommend you go pass these patches by -audit.
Any time you have programs running with privilege of some sort (and yes,
setuid man or setgid man counts as privilege), you have to be *really*
careful.  These patches do not appear to be very careful at all, and they
seem to make heavy use of environmental variables in constructing strings.

I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable with all this if we'd simply
remove the setuid/setgid man'ness of man, and either pre-generate cached
pages as appropriate, or simply eschew caching, given the speed of modern
machines.