Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 12:30:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: DEVFS options have changed (was : cvs commit: src/sys/conf files options src/sys/alpha/conf GENERIC src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC NEWCARD NOTES src/sys/ia64/conf GENERIC src/sys/pc98/conf GENERI

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> > > ought to be more than than enough HEADS UP for anybody paying
> > > attention.
> >
> > I disagree.  Any change in the config options is worthy of specific
> > reminder.  Most people don't even read cvs logs, because they're not
> > developers, but this incompatibility will bite them.
>
> Those people should not be running -current.

The goal of -CURRENT is not to make it possible for everyone to shoot
everyone else in the foot.  The goal of -CURRENT is that we get access to
a development version of FreeBSD and can perform integration of new
features in a more collaborative manner, get distributed debugging and
feedback, etc.  This is best done through an informed process by means of
HEADS UP and announcements of major changes coming through the tree, and
modifications to the UPDATING file, rather than relying on digging details
out of a commit message flow of greater than one hundred messages a day.
Note that the commit mailing list archives make an unwieldy and difficult
to use mechanism to reconstruct upgrade events for -CURRENT, whereas
UPDATING and HEADS UP messages are generally far more useful.

Yes, people tracking -CURRENT should read both the freebsd-current mailing
list and the commit messages, but in practice there may be a lag between
the message being posted and everyone getting to read it.  So to put it
this way: yes, we can make it easy for you to shoot everyone in the foot,
or instead, we can try to be helpful and communicative.  People running
-CURRENT should be aware of the risk, but we shouldn't go out of our way
to create risk, and avoid documenting procedures for avoiding that risk.