Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:53:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:50:20 MST, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> >   Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
> >     etc                  rc
> >   Log:
> >   MFC rev 1.268: support smbfs auto mounts in /etc/fstab
>
> Immediate MFC justified as follows:

<Rationalization of immediate and unnecessary MFC snipped>

> Who do I ask for permission to merge this onto the RELENG_4_3 branch?

Me, and the answer is no: RELENG_4_3 is currently reserved for security
fixes only.

And frankly, as well tested as the patch may have been, it would have
hurt no one to wait 2 days to MFC those changes.  The cost of screwing up
the rc scripts (especially file system mounting)  on -STABLE are pretty
high: even if you feel the risk is low, a delay of two days is worth it.
("I know that other people make mistakes when testing simple and harmless
MFC's, but I'd never make a mistake because I test things properly and
don't make mistakes").

Also, does your definition of remote file systems include Arla, Coda and
AFS?  Are you aware that both of those remote file systems require
supporting daemons before they can be started, and those remote daemons
aren't loaded until /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* have been executed?