Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:50:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: applix 5.0 and current

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Brooks Davis wrote:

> I've been trying to get applix 5.0 to work and I've been running into
> some intresting problems.  The first one was that current has the
> getresuid syscall and the gtk12 build detects and uses it.  Unfortuatly
> FreeBSD 3.x and 4.x don't have this syscall so you can't use libgtk12
> with old libc's if it's built on current.  I was able to build a new one
> with use of getresuid disabled and that got the main program to load.
> It appears that the gtk12 port needs to disable this dubious feature or
> getresuid needs to be MFC'd all the way back to 3.x.

At least on my RELENG_4 box, getresuid() does seem to exist (although its
man page does not).  MFC'ing it to RELENG_3 probably shouldn't be too much
trouble, though--it's a new interface to the same old information.

> After that I tried using the converters and discovered that the
> olefilter doesn't work because is uses libc_r.so.3 and we don't have a
> version of that with __stderrp defined.  I don't really know what the
> fix to this one is since we haven't had a libc_r.so.3 in 3.x for almost
> two years now.  Any ideas?

Hmm.  There's a libc_3.so.3 in compat3x, however, I haven't really
followed the whole __stderrp mess, so can't say whether that's useful or
not :-).