Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:10:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG confusion RELENG_4 RELENG_4_5

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Martin Blapp wrote:

> > No.  4.5 is the security branch.  Did I mess up UPDATING?
>
> No :-) But there is nothing mentioned about it in UPDATING for RELENG_4.
> This made the confusion.

This is because each branch has its own UPDATING file that refers to that
specific branch.  The security branches probably need to be better
documented somewhere.

> I've also seen commits to both RELENG_4 and RELENG_4_5 and a mixed cvsup
> for both, so I have to merge important changes myself at the moment if I
> track STABLE.

Are you referring to something specific here?  If not, it doesn't appear
to mean much.  If so, you need to say what it is you're talking about so
that it can be fixed.  In general, RELENG_4 and RELENG_4_5 should
currently be feature-identical, and the only differences should be in the
form of version strings, release notes, and so on.