Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:36:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        suporte <hh@dsgx.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crashs on 4.5RC

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, suporte wrote:

> i updated my 4.4 to an 4.5RC the first time that i compiled .. it was
> crashing almost everysingle hour .. i booted up again on the old
> 4.5PRE-RELEASE .. and recompile the kernel with the new updates from
> cvsup .. k so was finally stable again .. now i can't get an uptime more
> than 4 days .. so i tryed again yesterday made another update using the
> cvsup there was a bunch of things new there .. i compile again .. how
> many time do u guys think this thing gonna keep reseting me and a bunch
> of friends we're having the same problems .. we really use the machine
> is not just a simple for mails .. is for eggdrops/apache/ircds/bncs ..
> stuffs like that ..  can anybody give me a light ?

You need to be more specific.  What do you mean by "crash" -- do you get a
system panic, a system hang, a reboot without a message?  Is any output
generated along the way?  One common pitfall identified in the release
notes was a change in default sizing of socket buffers, which requires
some busy sites to increase nmbclusters (either by recompiling with
different kernel configuration settings, or simply updating loader.conf to
use a larger hard-coded value).  Potentially, you could be running into
that.  If you're getting a panic, this can be debugged using the kernel
debugging recommendations in the FreeBSD handbook.  You'll either want to
enable dumping of system core, or include options DDB in the kernel so you
can debug live.  You'll also want to build the kernel using debugging
symbols so that the results are useful.