Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:49:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_time.c

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     John seems to have patches for just about everything, but they're
>     useless if he doesn't focus and start committing them.   I am going
>     to start comitting the simpler stuff, like the ucred stuff that is
>     based on Julian's work (which John ought not to have patches for
>     since it didn't exist two days ago).  If we hit a conflict John can
>     email me and we will work it out.

With all do respect, I'd like to ask you to hold off for a couple of days
until John is back in communication again from his travel to/from BSDCon.
Over BSDCon he was talking about committing it within the next four days,
so I think everything is really just about ready and queued up.  There's
no point in duplicating the work, and creating unnecessary conflicts for
him.  With respects to the ucred work on the thread side: that's something
that John has had specifically in mind -- in fact, he initially described
the cached td_ucred model many months ago, and was waiting on KSE progress
to commit much of the use of it because of the presence of race conditions
until now (relating to interrupt handling).

>     Otherwise I won't be able to commit
>     anything at all in any subsystem for the next year without first
>     checking with John, which is rather silly.

Coordinating work and commits is a prerequisite for working on a large
project, as I'm sure you know.  When I start work on some piece of
security infrastructure, I check with the likely suspects before doing the
work so that we don't duplicate work, or tread on each other's toes.  If
you're working on SMPng, then naturally you'll have to check with other
SMPng developers when doing the work.  It's really not very hard, and it
can save everyone a lot of trouble.  As you know, one of the larger goals
of the SMPng work was to allow people to work more effectively in parallel
through strong reliance on coordination and communication.