Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:58:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Hostbaek <mich@freebsdcluster.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: kdebase3.0.2 build is breaking

I had this problem on one box, and it was a nightmare to fix.  I debugged
the problem down to something in the <dynamic_cast> primitive and
eventually decided it was a c++ bug of some sort.  I flushed all the old
libraries on the system, and rebuilt all my ports from scratch, and the
problem went away.  I'm assuming it's a stale library issue from a C++ ABI
change.

FWIW, I still had C++ build issues requiring patches even after I flushed
all the old libraries and includes, but once I built it, it runs fine.

Well, with the exception of a problem where KDE can't render .gif files
without going into a tight loop.  Will mentioned yesterday that this might
be the result of a nasty compiler interaction involving gcc 3.1 and
libungif, but the upshot is that most web pages hang the web browser.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories