Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:14:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/talk display.c talk.1 talk.c

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 06:12:33PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Damn.  Now I can't use ps/who to find out who's talking to whom!
>
> but you can still see that they are using "talk".
>
> "ps" and friends are full of privacy violation, as they allow
> unprivileged users to peek at what others are doing by liberally
> showing program arguments (though they can be hidden by setproctitle,
> but almost nobody does that) and program names (which cannot even
> be hidden).
>
> I think this part should be seriously revised
> (you in Bcc, are you listening ? :)

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT supports 'security.bsd.bsd_see_other_uids' which
limits the flow of inter-user information.  Try setting it to 0 sometime.

The trustedbsd_mac version which will get committed in a week or so
actually also supports a series of exemptions, such as exempting based on
having the same primary group, or belonging to a specific group (such as
wheel or operator).

We used this setting on election.uk.FreeBSD.org to prevent less desirable
information flow.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories