Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Lowe <dlowe@sirius.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   INN on an async-mounted spool?

People -

Has anyone here tried INN on an async-mounted spool in production?

Our news server (FreeBSD 2.2.2, INN 1.5.1) is running consistently a few
hours behind with a synchronous spool, and we've tried it with async
mounts & had it run *much* faster - able to pull in ~520 articles per
minute from our single feed (a Diablo machine) (as opposed to ~380, which
is not quite enough these days to ensure keeping up with a full feed.)

We're not too concerned about data loss on the spool in the event of a
failure - but we *are* concerned about the async option actually *causing*
crashes.  While we were running async, we had two mysterious crashes
(which of course led to some data loss & required human intervention for
fsck'ing).  Since we've gone synchronous, we've not had these mystery
crashes (knock wood) but we've also not been able to keep up as nicely as
we'd like to.

Has anyone had success with an async-mounted spool in the long term?
Pros?  Cons?

Thanks,

					David Lowe