Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 18:12:15 +0800 (SST)
From:      Gong Wei <eng30219@leonis.nus.sg>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   16 bpp X server?

Hi all of you there:

Just a general question about X, last time I rebuild XF86-312 for
FreeBSD2.1.0.  Everything is fine, the resulting server is faster than
XF86_SVGA because only cirrus devices are configured.

The machine I am using is Pentium 75 with 8M Ram.  The video card is
clgd5434 with 1M video ram.  I've tried to let the server to run at 16 bpp
mode, but finally failed:-( Actually I am quite satisfy with 8 bpp screen,
just want to learn some more, so I tried to modify /etc/XF86Config, try to
recompile X server, try to read man pages, X docs...  And finally I think
it's time to shout loudly around the net. 8-)

Oh, just one more thing, I noticed that when X starts up, it prints a
line like:
	"SVGA: server for 8-bit colour SVGA(Patchlevel 0)......."
So what does this line tell us?

Thanks a lot to all of you who spend your time and effort to help people
like me:-).  Really, thanks!

Regards
Gong Wei
eng30219@nus.sg