Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 13:14:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        vitjok@fasts.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/2268: linux-libc does not use /etc/passwd in a right way

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 vitjok@fasts.com wrote:

> >Number:         2268
> >Category:       ports
> >Synopsis:       libc from linux emulator does not use /etc/passwd in a right way
> >Originator:     Victor Rotanov
>
> 	Any linux program that uses /etc/passwd does not authenticate
> 	users because it reads it in a way linux does.
>
> >How-To-Repeat:
>
> 	Try to run linux version of xdm - you will not be able to log in.
>
> >Fix:
>
> 	linux libc should be corrected.

This doesn't sound like any kind of subject for a FreeBSD ports pr.  This
is _linux_'s libc, not FreeBSD's libc.  We cannot modify a linux binary.
One could argue that our Linux emulation might be able to better handle
this one, but the Linux emulation is not part of ports, so this pr will
never get closed.  The FreeBSD port is of the linux libc, and that's what
it successfuly does; it's not a port of linux compatibility, which is part
of the FreeBSD kernel, not part of the port.  This will become a forever
pr .... I think that this might be brought up on the -current mailing list
better; it doesn't seem possible to resolve this as a ports issue.

I'd want to either close this pr, or shift it to another category.
Comments?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |