Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 19:37:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> A weighted democracy would be one open-ended growth soloution, as
> long as parametric changes could be made within the system.  I have
> suggested this before.  A trivial napkin drawing version:

This would so overcomplicate things that you would virtually guarantee no
new members joining FreeBSD.  Word of this would get around, most likely
with appropriate scare stories, and folks would avoid the groups like they
were plagued.  It wouldn't matter if this actually was workable or not,
the perception of thought police would be too strong.

> 1)	There is a vote server for the group
> 2)	When you join the group, you begin accumulating "vote tokens"
> 	on the server, up to some high water mark.
> 3)	Anyone can call for a discussion on a topic relevant to
> 	the group; this is done by phrasing it in the form of
> 	a resoloution
> 4)	Discussion ensues
> 5)	At any time in the discussion, there can be a call for votes
> 	to either make a binding vote on the topic, or to discontinue
> 	the topic
> 6)	After the call for votes, a timer is started
> 7)	Anyone who wants to can vote for or against a vote taking
> 	place; this vote does not take a token.
> 8)	The call for votes timer expires.  If there is a simple
> 	majority, a vote is initiated for the topic; if not, the
> 	topic is discontinued
> 9)	When a vote is initiated, another timer starts
> 10)	People can vote for or against the resoloution.  They can
> 	"spend" up to 3 vote tokens on either side of the issue.
> 	They can not "spend" votes they do not have.  The person who
> 	proposes the resoloution must propose it with at least one
> 	vote token committed to it in the case it comes to a vote.
> 11)	The voting timer expires.  Each vote token is counted as
> 	one vote for the purposes of establishing a simple majority
> 	as to whether or not the resoloution is adopted by the group.
> 12)	The group agrees, by virtue of self-selection at the time
> 	they join the group, that all votes will be binding on the
> 	group.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |