Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:07:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Larry Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb.1proposed solutions. No dice.

> [GDB falls over with:]

>make: don't know how to make gdb.1. Stop

I discussed this with Joerg last week.  (I picked on Joerg because he so
brazenly posted how we were supposed to solve this.)

Here's my observation.

The people with the whole CVS tree seem to be able to compile this
willy-nilly.

Those of us that just get a src tree (/usr/src) and 'make world' are
missing the following files:

	gdb.1
	gdbinst.texinfo

The way I solved this and managed to get 'make world' to run to completion
was to copy my old gdb.1 to wherever make wants it to be, then
gdbinst.info to ... ah ... contrib/gdb/doc/gdbint.info.

These things aren't making it to the unwashed masses from the CVSup
mirrors.  I don't know why.  I killed gdb in contrib and in gnu/usr.bin as
well.  I also blew away my obj directory.  This does not solve the
problem, which is these files aren't being downloaded.

Someone who understands CVS could probably couch this in the appropriate
lingo ... but I've talked with Nate and Joerg on this, and they both have
the CVS tree and both have these files.  I don't.

Good luck and godspeed...

Brian