Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:30:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   X on a TP560

Hey folks!

Massive progress made since last night.  With a little help from Nate I've
got networking going, I've found the mouse, I've compiled a kernel with
apm in it (though I haven't fiddled with that yet) and I've got an X login
screen with XFree86-3.3.  This is cool!  I have a feeling I'd best write
down everything I've done soon, the pccard stuff wasn't completely
documented -- or at least I didn't quite find the stuff at kindergarten-
level that I needed to figure it out. :-)

Anyway, I'm standing in front of the last hurdle, X.  I wandered the linux
laptop page and found this site:

	http://www-lj.eb.com/~tdarugar/docs/tp560.html

This guy has Linux running on a Thinkpad 560 with the TFT screen and it's
working really well for him.  With XFree86-3.3, you don't need the cy9382
program to get the BIOS stuff right, it just works.  Anyway, at this URL
there's an XF86Config file for XF86-3.3 that seems to work great.

Anyway, here we are at the final hurdle.  When I try to log in from the
xdm banner, it attempts to get in, I get that "hound's tooth" pattern
across the top of the screen, then wham, back to the login banner.
Switching to a vt console shows that xsm dumped core.  I don't know
anything about xsm, I've never needed to!  I installed XF86-3.3 from the
ports tree.  I'm at a bit of a loss for how to proceed.

Any suggestions?  Has anyone else tried 3.3?  I also tried grabbing xsm
from my desktop station, which is running 3.2.  Same problem, xsm dumped
core again.

Thanks,

Brian