Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:49:53 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preference between egcs and gcc28?

On 31 Jan 1999, Don Croyle wrote:

> I'm working on a port for a C++ program that won't build with the
> system version of gcc, but does fine with either egcs' or gcc28's C++
> compiler.
>
> Is there any strong preference towards using one or the other as a
> build dependency?

egcs C++ binaries are not backwards compatible with those spat out by gcc 2.7,
apparently. This bites you if you try and link against an egcs-built C++
library with gcc 2.7.x (e.g. the stock system compiler) - it seems to fail
with a lot of unresolved symbols.

Note that I don't actually know much about the 'why' of this, but I read it
somewhere (on the egcs website?) and it seems to be bourne out in my
experience.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.