Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:08:55 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMWare

Check out www.vmware.com - this is a product which allows concurrent execution
of multiple operating systems on x86, by running under a "host" OS which
manages one or more "guest" OSes and presents them with their own private
virtual machine (like some of the old mainframes).

Currently the only host OS version is for Linux (still in beta), and Windows
NT and FreeBSD host versions are in development (I have it on good authority
that the FreeBSD version will be released soon). FreeBSD isn't listed on the
website, but one of my friends is involved in the beta program and assures me
it's coming.

On the Guest OS side, they claim support for {Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux, NT,
Win9x, DOS, BeOS, and Solaris 7.

Cost for the full version is $300, although for non-commercial and student use
it's $99. My friend has been raving about the quality of this product - it
certainly does look promising.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.