Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:53:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup, FreeBSD-CVS tree and branches

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > Where do you put your cvsup tree that is used to serve end users ?
>
> /u/cvsup, but that's an implementation detal.

ah huh.. ok, so i am getting the idea that the tree that cvsupd needs,
needs to live (ugh, really bad grammar) in a separate area.

> > is /pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/
>
> > on ftp.freebsd.org, the root of the various cvsup trees ?
>
> > or is it a checked out full version of the cvsup tree, but not
> > actually suitable to seed a cvsup(d) tree ?
>
> No.

ok. i'm assuming no to both.

> On my system, I exclude (on the rsync client side) all of the unpacked
> source code bits; specifically:
>
> /development/FreeBSD-CVS
> /branches/4.0-stable/supfile.cvsup
> /doc/mailing-lists/archive
> /doc/mailing-lists/supfile.cvsup
> /doc/mailing-lists/sup

hmm, ok. that makes sense to me.  in fact i can't see any point in
a `full' rsync over the whole site anymore as that just puts a lot
of load on the master server.

but the directory structure is confusing me..

so /development/FreeBSD-CVS can be fetched by cvsup, but is NOT the
cvsupd tree

/branches/* can be fetched by cvsup, but is NOT the cvsupd tree

/doc/mailing-lists can be fetched by cvsup ?  or..

> The presence and contents of the `supfile.cvsup' files and `sup'
> directories on ftp-master should be a big clue to you as to how they
> are maintained.  I personally update the 2.2 tree once a week, and all

in that case, i have this large clue, but not even leverage to swing
it.

> of the other trees every six hours (in the same cron job as runs the
> rsync itself).  I don't provide the CVS tree itself in FTP space;
> there are far better mechanisms for that now, although since I'm no
> longer in a disk-space crunch I might well add it back.

that's what i'd like to do.  the question is where.  it `seemed' like
a good location was the development/FreeBSD-CVS/ area, but apparently
not.

> gnats        release=current prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD-gnats.current
> www          release=current prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD-www.current
> mail-archive release=current prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD-mail.current
> distrib      release=self    prefix=prefixes/distrib.self
>
> `prefixes/distrib.self' should be a symbolic link pointing to the
> parent directory of the `sup' directory in which cvsupd's control

sorry, i should have added the other bits.  mail-archive, www and gnats
are there.  distrib is a bit of a worry in terms of updating itself
because of various hacks, but i suppose i could live with that, i
think..

hmm, thanks for the feedback.  back to the chaos and confusion
now..

regards,

-jason