Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:55:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Saverio Perugini <sperugin@csgrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.3-BETA

Hello,

Today I did a make world on my old 4.0-RELEASE system.

I used the following tag in my CVSup supfile:

tag=RELENG_4

I thought this was the tag for the line of development
for FreeBSD-4.X, also known as FreeBSD-STABLE, as indicated in the
FreeBSD Handbook.

However, after making world, uname -a returns

pipe# uname -a
FreeBSD pipe.cs.vt.edu 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #0: Thu Mar 15 14:01:01 EST 2001     root@pipe.cs.vt.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PIPE  i386

Why does uname -a indicate that I am running a beta system?  Did I not
follow the process to upgrade to a stable system correctly?

What is a BETA system? Is it similiar to CURRENT?

Thank you.

Best,

Saverio Perugini
email: sperugin@vt.edu