Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:51:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dg@root.com, isp@FreeBSD.org, chad@gaianet.net
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > > "We're using FreeBSD and a sync-serial card." :-)
> >
> > 	I just hope ISPs don't have anything against Unix based routers.
> > :-)   Ofcourse I can say that FreeBSD has kicked everything else so far
> > including SUN SparcStation 20's so it should do very well... :-)
>
> In this business, you can try to dictate what customers must do - and you
> will probably lose some customers.  It is best to try to recommend what
> you are familiar with, so that you can assist customers, and they can
> benefit from your experiences, but if a customer wants to do something
> different, you either let them or lose them.

	Yep, that's true.  That's why we will run everything FreeBSD based
since it serves it's purpose and you're a living example of FreeBSD for a
newsserver even though some people would argue that SUN's are better just
because of the RAID support.

> If your new ISP does not like a UNIX based router, too bad.  My upstream
> provider has remarked a few times about the relative reliability of our
> CSU/DSU's and routers, apparently they have problems from time to time
> with the stuff they use.

	Just got their reply for CRL and they said that it's probably okay
to use the equipment but they can't guarantee their engineers will provide
us the help when we need it.  I just told them that we will take care of
our router while they can do their best in the Internet connection.

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin