Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:39:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to reset FreeBSD?

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 11 October 1998 at 19:42:50 -0400, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
> >>
> >> What do you mean by "restart" the system?
> >> What did you mean by reboot? The reboot command?
> >> You can "halt" the system and then turn off the computer or press any key
> >> for a reboot.
> >>
> >> man: shutdown, halt, reboot
> >
> > I mean restarting the ttys, re-reading rc.local, etc. But not rebooting!
> > No morre than halting the system. Keeping process running (like ppp) would
> > be nice also...
>
> If you want to re-read /etc/rc.local, do:
>
>  # . /etc/rc.local
>
> But you need to understand what you're doing first.  In most cases,
> you can restart individual processes or configure interfaces without
> resorting to that kind of blanket measure.  What are you really trying
> to do?

In particular, I had problems with ppp. Trying to bind a socket to and
address was giving me "address already in use" by bind. What deamon or
process is responsible for this?

Apart from this, I once needed to restart the ttys...

Also, when I drop single-user (kill 1), I can't get back to mutli-user
mode... This must be an easy one although. When I exit the /bin/sh shell
it tries to mount drives,and I get "device busy"s, but I can't umount
them...

Thanks!

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |