Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:56:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        nick.hibma@jrc.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, usb-bsd@makelist.com
Subject:   Re: update on USB stack/call for help

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > The porting of the NetBSD USB stack to FreeBSD is progressing. We are at
> > the point were actual device drivers are to be tested/implemented. The
> > (working) beginnings of the following are there:
> > Anyone wanting to get his hands dirty could have a look at the following
> > parts:
>
> one thing that would really need work is SCANNER support.
>
> Currently in FreeBSD we have support for the following:
>  + SCSI through the generic interface;
>  + some handheld scanners through specific device drivers (gsc,asc)
> but the vast majority of flatbed scanners out there are parallel-port
> and now slowly moving to USB. For the former, there is no standard that
> i am aware of, and manufacturers are collaborative as usual...
>
> I just hope that USB will also bring together a standardized way to
> access devices so we don't have to get crazy with proprietary command
> sequences (I am not so optimistic, the only area where I have seen this
> happening is SCSI & ATAPI storage devices...)

I bought an HP 6200c about 2 months ago because it was the only scanner on
the shelf with a scsi interface on it.  It also happens to have a USB plug
as well.  Does this device have two different command sets on it, or is
twain riding on top of USB?

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)