Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:15:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Hummel <dnh@darius.pce.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   contributing to the free(dom) community

Hi,

I have been a part of the Internet community for about four years, and I
feel that it's about time for me to start contributing to 'the cause'.
'The cause', as I see it, has mainly to do with Free Software, and
promoting the Internet as a forum of education and free exchange of ideas
(as opposed to entertainment and commercial enterprise: while necessary
(or at least unavoidable), these have enough momentum to carry themselves
without my help).

What I hope to achieve by writing this list is:

a) A few ideas on what are the most positive projects promoting these
ideals (and is there a listing of these?). Included would be things like
XFree86, Apache, FSF, PHP, Linux, *BSD, project Gutenburg, sites promoting
anti-spam, internet freedom, human rights etc. If there is a central site
that has a listing of sites like these, especially one that provides a
guide to contributing to such causes, please give me a url. (If no such
site exists, perhaps I could contribute this).

b) Thoughts on a FreeDNS/DNS exhange. I longed for such a thing until I
found Granite Canyon on the FreeBSD gallery page. They currently provide
name service for more than 7000 sites, but they have their share of
downages (they only have one secondary name server). Similarly, ml.org has
cut their services due to resource problems and abuse.

 I've always thought that DNS wasn't as open as it could be. It seems to
 me that there could exist a variety of setups to help small sites with
 DNS including:

   1) A simple DNS exchange where admins can find other admins who are
   willing to provide secondary name service with each other.

   2) A large scale project similar to Granite Canyon. The difference
   would be that rather than just one secondary server, there would be
   many. It would be possible to spread the load over many servers
   and networks. Contributors would set up secondary DNS

 I guess with this my questions would be:
     a) Does such a project exist?
     b) Is such a project desirable? (does it invite too much abuse?)

c) Any other thoughts on contributing. Like everyone else, my shortest
resource is time. Most abundant is probably equipment, followed by
sysadmin skills, and then programming skills.

Thanks,
Dave