Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 22:07:51 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>
To:        -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing question

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, -Vince- wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Peter Marelas wrote:

> > > 	Hmmm, how does gated work and I don't have a /etc/gated.conf or
> > > the man pages for gated...
> > >

> > The linux NET-2-HOWTO explains gated and has an example gated.conf
>
> 	Hmmm, okay... What does gated do exactly?  Since what I want to
> do is for the class C network addresses that needs to route through the
> FreeBSD box, how do we advertise so the routing tables for the rest of
> the net will know how to get to us?  Thanks!

It "routes" :)
You use the "RIP" (Routing Information Protocol) protocol.
This allows for dynamic routing, where routers talk to each other via UDP,
exchanging information on what networks each router is connected to.
This allow the routing daemon (gated) to update the kernel's routing
tables with information it receives.

ie. routes are added and deleted dynamically, so changes in network are
    propegated via RIP to other routers.

routed supports RIP only.
gated supports IGP, EGP and RIP.

You can check to see if a router is advertising the network its attached
to by using ripquery that comes with gated.

example..

jazzy# ripquery 203.8.105.28
24 bytes from iris.webnet.com.au(203.8.105.28) to 203.21.35.254 version 1:
        203.8.105.0      metric  1

For more information on RIP read RFC1058.

Peter