Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:00:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robin Carey <r.carey@dcs.napier.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-2.1.1

Yo :)
Found some problems with my new FreeBSD-2.2.1 CDROM ....

1) ispunct(3) doesn't work :) It returns TRUE for characters which are
   not punctuation. To see what I mean, try this program:

-------- 8< --------
# include  <stdio.h>
# include  <ctype.h>

void
main (void)
{
  int i;

  for (i = 0; i < 256; ++i) {
    if (ispunct(i)) {
      printf ("%c <%d>\n", i, i);
    }
  }
}
-------- 8< --------

2) I can completely shaft my system by typing Alt-F1 (for example)
   straight after typing "exit" from an xterm, on a virtual tty running
   X-windows. In other words: switching to a text virtual tty, before
   X has shutdown after typing "exit" from an xterm. Does that sentence
   make sense to you ? It doesn't to me ... *phew* !
   Basically it locks up, and you have to do a hardware reset.

3) I can consistently crash my system ....
   I haven't got the crash message handy - I'd need to get that for you
   if you want me to, and I haven't verified if it happens with the
   generic kernel, or just my own custom kernel.

4) The manual page for assert(3) should have an "ANSI standard" footer :)
   I've told you about this one before BTW :)

5) Lastly ... oh yeh, thats it, if you want some quick'n easy bugfixes
   for telnet(1), you should have a look at OpenBSD telnet(1) as I
   made some fixes to that which obviously weren't applied to NetBSD
   or FreeBSD. Look for the grammatically correct CVS log message;
   that'll be mine :)

Other than that, everything seems OK so far. I'll let you know if I run
into any more problems. You should sort out microemacs BTW - its default
setup sucks badly. For a start, it creates that "_xlk" lock directory
which means its no good for system admin. Also the default CMODE is
completely bent and so is that HELP window which springs up when you
start uemacs .... :)

Oh yeh, how do I find out if something is a port, and if it isn't, how to
make it one .... ? I haven't got a web-browser at the moment BTW.

Cheers/thanks-for-the-semi-rock-solid-system,