Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 02:32:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Benjamin Newcum <newcumdb@cs.purdue.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD by FTPing to my Win95 machine

> > I have no CDROM in my FreeBSD machine, so I'm installing it by accessing
> > the CDROM on my Win95 machine over the network using Serv-U ftp server.
> >
> > I can install FreeBSD and get it working, but when I try to install any of
> > the packages from the CD, it doesn't work because Win95 won't read the
> > files.  The files are there, but win95 reports them as having a file size
> > of zero.  I assume that the cdrom uses a format that isn't exactly the FAT
> > fs that win95 is looking for.  Is there any way to read it from Win95?
>
> They should be there.  Try FTPing the files over manually and then using
> the pkg_add command against them.

The files are there.  If I use DOS dir or Win95's explorer to access them,
they show up with a file size of zero.  The 00_TRANS.TBL is the only file
that shows up in the packages directory with a size that is non-zero.
Windows simply will not read it as a file that has any contents.  Which
means that if I use an FTP program (server or client) on the Windows
machine, it will read it as a zero length file.

I have seen a cdrom driver extension before that supported iso9660 (?)
file system types and was supposed to handle an extended type of FS, but
I'm not sure where to find it, or if it will work.

Cheers,
Dave