Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 14:13:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Byoung-Kee Yi <kee@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Q] serial communication

Hi everyone -

  I would like to connect a laptop to a desktop.
Both run FreeBSD R2.2.1 on them and, since I don't
have lan cards, I found serial communication is
the most economical way I can afford. That is,
I would like to use my laptop as a dumb terminal
attached to my desktop. What I need is just simple
file transfers using zmodem programs.
  To that end, I made a full DB25-DB9 null modem
cable with the following wirings:

        DB9     DB25
        1       20
        2       2
        3       3
        4       6
        4       8
        5       7
        6       20
        7       5
        8       4

The serial ports are COM1 on the laptop and COM2
on the other. The corresponding /etc/ttys entry
of the desktop is,
        ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on  secure
Then, I did the following on the laptop:
        % cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 9600
I just got a message saying the device was already in use.
So I removed the "jumpering" wires (1&6 at DB9 end and 6&8 at DB29 end),
and I didn't get the message, but this time I didn't get the familiar
login screen either. Nothing happened except for "CONNECTED." message
from cu program.
  What am I missing here? I would appreicate any suggestions.

-- Kee