Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:43:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mohan Khurana <mkhurana@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   wireless on desktop machines

mobile,

I looking for a good wireless product for desktop machines that can run
FreeBSD (or NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, etc).  My situtation is that I live in
an apartment building and one of my neighbors has DSL.  It makes more
sense for me to not get DSL myself, since I will be moving in 7 months
or so and the setup fee for DSL is $300, while paying $40 per month.  I
can easily get on his network if I can somehow bridge our two networks.
He has a spare machine that I can use as a router, I just need to set it
up for him. I've set up routers before using FreeBSD, however this time it
will have to be wireless.  Since the machine that I'd like to use as a
router is a desktop machine, the wireless card would need to be PCI or
ISA.

I began researching different wireless solutions.  I found Lucent WaveLAN,
which is essentially just a PCMCIA card mounted onto a PCI or ISA adapter.
This would be fine, except for the fact that the prices of these cards are
still quite high.  The PCMCIA card is $180 retail, and I was unable to
find a place that sells the adapters online, but I think it is around $60.
If I get it used, I might be able to get it for $150 for the PCMCIA and
$50 for the adapter.  This is around $200 for each side of the "bridge"
between our two networks.  $400 seems like just two much.

I was looking at alternatives, and I found HomeFree, which seems like it
is exactly what I would need, however it only supports windows.  Speed is
not an issue here, since I am using it only to share a DSL line.
Encryption isn't really an issue at all too.  Price is really more
important.

Wow, I wrote a lot. :)  Basically what I am looking for is an affordable
wireless point to point solution, and if there isn't any, then feedback as
to what I should buy and where I should buy the lucent wavelan products to
get the best price.

thanks,

mohan