Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 10:46:28 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@hk.super.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Comparison of un*x's

A group which I have organized is setting up an Internet service provider
in Hong Kong aiming at 2,000 subscribers.

The consensus is 2 Pentium 90's with SCCI II disks.  We must decide on
the OS soon.

I am naturally pushing for FreeBSD, especially since todays pledge that
2.1R will be more stable than 1.1.5R when it is released.

However, largely because of the name (It can't be any good if it is
free.) I am in the minority and have a hard sell.

I need an *objective* evaluation with pros and cons of the following
OS's for use in this application:

Solaris (Seemingly the first choice of several members)
FreeBSD
SunOS (Does it even run on i386?)
BSDI
SCO
NetBSD
Any other suggestions. (Linux has been eliminated due to too frequent
patches.)

I am interested in stability, support, ease of administration
and configuration and performance.  Multi-processor support is an
advantage. Any concrete examples of commercial service providers would be
appreciated. I have promised to make the results of this enquiry,
cross posted on several lists, available to my group.

Any flaming will be counter productive.  The audience is former mini
users and civil engineers.

It is likely I cannot prevail on FreeBSD at this time.  What would the
*second choice* be, particularily in terms of compatibility with FreeBSD?
I could then use FreeBSD on one machine on the network and compare.

I appreciate the assistance.
jbeukema