Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 21:22:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Edward F. Knight" <e.knight@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Edward F. Knight wrote:

> >I'm waiting to make my total switch to FreeBSD until 2.1.0-RELEASE comes out
> >since it's likely then that Walnut Creek will put out an updated CD set.
> >
> >I know this is probably annoying, but is there any idea as to when it'll
> >be released?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dave
> >

> >They say it is comming out this month.  However,  It will take Walnut Creek
> Cdrom probably 3 to 4 weeks to get the CDs manufactured after the release is
> issued.  Then If you are a subscriber you will be last in the queue to get
> the CDROM.  I have been told by the folks at Walnut Creek that when they get
> product if someone calls in that their CDROM will be shipped the same day
> and that subscribers to the product have to wait for one mass pressing of
> the cdrom which costs them approximately $0.67 and they sell for $39 regular
> and $25 for subscription.  Their attitude towards those of of us who have
> been supporting them through subscription is convoluted.
>
> While I'm on a roll,  I can't quite figure out where the dividing line
> between FreeBSD.org and Walnut Creek Cdrom is.  Many of the "officials" of
> FreeBSD.org are employyees of Walnut Creek Cdrom.
>
> Since there will be those who take the opposing point of view just to take
> the opposing point of view, I welcome their comments.  These comments should
> make humorous bedtime reading which will ultimately help me fall asleep.

Ted, while it's possible for the relationship to be the way you describe,
past history shows it isn't so.  FreeBSD has benefitted enormously by the
friendly ties with Walnut Creek.  It doesn't take 3-4 weeks, at least it
hasn't for me, and exactly where do you think all this FreeBSD
development would be taking place, if not for Walnut Creek's machines?
Granted, there are other folks machines available, but not on that order
of donation.  Have you logged into WCARCHIVE.CDROM.COM lately, and seen
how much machine is devoted to FreeBSD?  There are some other cdroms
avilable that way, but FreeBSD dominates, both in disk space and (more
importantly) in network resources, expensive ones.

The only reason that I'm replying is because some folks, in reading your
post, and not knowing the history of the FreeBSD/Walnut Creek history,
might get the wrong idea.  Your mysterious comment about a funny
relationship between some FreeBSD developers and Walnut Creek, well, it
bears an unpleasant similarity with scenes from the communist witch hunts
of the fifties.  If you have complaints, be specific, don't hint at it.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |