Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 1995 13:46:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fdisk & partition names

I'm attempting to install freebsd on a 486DX2-66, with a Quantum Lightning
540meg IDE drive. Currently I have dos on a 80meg partition. In the past
I had Debian Linux on the same drive, and the partition names were fairly
easy to remember.

Now, in bsd's fdisk, I'm at a loss for what to do. Fdisk reports the
following:

offset      size      end     name     PType    Desc   Subtype   flags
   0         59       58       -         6      unused    0
  59      164197    164255    wd0s1      2       fat      6 =
164256    893024   1057279     -         6      unused    0 >

I'm guessing that the dos drive is the second line. And that the remainder
of the drive (formerly linux) is the third line.

The nameing conventions in linux are fairly easy; hda1 - hda4 are primary
partitions, hda5 - logical partitions. I'm only using a single drive,
and I have no desire to overwrite the dos partition. My questions are:

What is the naming sequence for a single IDE drive?

When in fdisk, should I start on the third line? (offset 164256)?

If I choose the "entire disk" option, will only the space starting at
offset 164256 be affected, and treated as a single partition; dos=80meg,
bsd=the rest of the drive?

One other question, whats the best partitioning layout for freebsd?
In linux, I had the following:

dos	/dev/hda1		dos		80meg

linux	/dev/hda2		/		16meg
	/dev/hda3		swap		16meg
	/dev/hda4		extended
	/dev/hda5		/usr		180meg
	/dev/hda6		/usr/local	120meg
	/dev/hda7		/var		32meg
	/dev/hda8		/home		70meg

Those numbers worked fine, and the partition names were easy to
work with. Also, with the numerous Linux books available, partitioning
information is widely available.

The freebsd faq's, the work_in_progress Manual, etc, don't really
seem to describe a straight forward approach to partitioning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com