Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   a problem with mount_portal, which I hope is obvious to someone

The following fails on

FreeBSD 3.0-980627-SNAP (CLUSTER) #4: Wed Sep  9 06:05:32 EDT 1998

Code is:

        /*
         * If there is a file descriptor to send then
         * construct a suitable rights control message.
         */
        if (fd >= 0) {
                ctl.fd = fd;
                ctl.cmsg.cmsg_len = sizeof(ctl);
                ctl.cmsg.cmsg_level = SOL_SOCKET;
                ctl.cmsg.cmsg_type = SCM_RIGHTS;
                msg.msg_control = (caddr_t) &ctl;
                msg.msg_controllen = ctl.cmsg.cmsg_len;
        }

        /*
         * Send to kernel...
         */
        if ((n = sendmsg(so, &msg, MSG_EOR)) < 0)
                syslog(LOG_ERR, "send: %s", strerror(errno));

returns with EINVAL. anybody out there who can look at this and say "of
course", send me the "of course" on how to fix it... :=-)

oh yeah, anyone who wants to remind me of the cvsup command to update the
snap, let me know. I'm too stupid to figure it out, even though I got it
once.

WRT to another discussion that occured earlier, we have found the freebsd
snapshots to be more reliable than the linux equivalent of "stable". Freebsd
does set quite a standard here. That's not to say that Linux is not good.
It's great. It's just that in terms of uptime/reliability, freebsd is
better.

thanks
ron