Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, spork wrote:
> Number of times sshd died: 0

A common data point but there's also the shell that is spawned by sshd and
applications spawned by the shell.  Any of those can hang a session
too.  The most common problem I've seen is corrupt terminal definitions
that no combination of setenv, tset and reset will fix.

> If you really need a backup access method, get a console server :)

Have that too but there are many situations where it's not feasible.

The real issue, it seems to me, is consistency.  If ftp, telnet, rsh,
rlogin, etc. run from inetd then sshd should also.  The original reason it
wasn't is the key generation delay, which isn't an issue on anything
faster than a 486/25.

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/