Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:47:20 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   General SMP Design

This paper was brought up on hackers and I think it has some good
guidelines for SMP design.  I am not advocating Non-blocking
Synchronization yet, because I still don't know enough about it, but much
of what is written is good for SMP in general.

http://www-dsg.stanford.edu/papers/non-blocking-osdi/index.html

We have many examples of type-stable memory management in our code.  i.e.
a vnode is always an instance of a vnode, it can be a on a free list.  It
doesn't change it's type.  The zone allocator is a good thing.

The other interesting things aside from NBS included CMDS, contention
minimizing data structures.

They advocate per-processor pools which many agree is good for SMP
performance.

I've noticed a lot of headers regarding TLB shootdowns recently.  The text
"Unix Internals:  The New Frontiers" by Uresh Vahalia has some algorithms.

Regards,

Mike Hancock