Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:25:59 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zipfs filesystem anyone ?

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The VFS interface is not reflexive.  Namei would expect your user
> space code to free your path buffer allocated in the kernel.  Also
> you would have to externalize the lockmgr interface, and alias vnodes
> in and out of the kernel, instead of treating them as opaque and using
> a user space pointer in the data pointer.  Etc..
[..]
> You could do one, but you will have to externalize a hell of a lot
> of code, and provide proxy allocation and freeing mechanisms for
> every place that is non-reflexive.
[..]
> A better alternative for now might be to build a user space NFS server
> at an alternate port (this is what the amd code does; you should look
> at it, and "cryptofs" [comp.unix.sources] for more information).

Wouldn't you have to externalize a lot of stuff anyway?  We'd need some
extra syscalls along the lines of John Heidemann's ook* (Out Of Kernel)
stuff.  You can make a fs specific call that serves as a general interface
to marshall fs related operations in and out of the kernel.

Then you can make a semantic-free user layer.  It seems that a lot of NFS
related work these days have to do with adding state.

I was looking at this a few months ago after John H. released his layering
code.

It also seems that Poul and John Dyson have started cleaning up some fs
related interface and memory issues, but I haven't had time to examine all
the details.

Regards,

Mike Hancock