Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 08:56:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: syslogd runaway on 2.2-BETA

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Dan Busarow writes:
> >  Mem: 3632K Active, 508K Inact, 1384K Wired, 696K Cache, 517K Buf, 696K Free
> >  Swap: 26M Total, 64K Used, 25M Free
> >
> >  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> >   79 root     98   0   196K   552K RUN     11:24 99.22% 99.22% syslogd
>
> Strange.
>
> What does your /etc/syslog.conf look like?

It was the stock 2.2-BETA_A issue.  I've commented out the logging
to /dev/console and added *.err to /var/log/messages

>                     Does syslogd print any
> messages when it starts?  Try stopping it and restarting it to find

It takes about 30 seconds before it detaches and then prints
syslogd: timed out waiting for child

> out.  Make sure, of course, that the problem persists after you
> restart it.  Also, if you have ktrace enabled in the kernel, check
> what it's doing.

Still the same.  I'll build a new kernel and give that a try.

Thanks,
Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com