Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 22:39:51 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: soft update should be default

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2001 20:04:43 -0500
> Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx> wrote:
> > It only adds performance... the whole idea of soft updates is to get
> > async speed with sync reliability. Nothing is more reliable than
> > synchronous writes, since data is verified absolutely as it is written.
> I've heard that it always keeps consistency.
> So you can skip fsck after the crash.
> #I don't know the detail, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

  I've had a number of crashes recently while trying to get my new
Thunderbird box up and running with the disk from my old box.  I have
softupdates enabled on two partitions, yet they still fsck on the way
back up after a crash (and, at 18GB each, it takes awhile).  Next time
I play games, I'm mounting them read-only first!

--
Chris BeHanna              "This isn't a throttle; it's a *rheostat*!"
Software Engineer