Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:07:45 +0000
From:      Carolyn Longfoot <c_longfoot@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports Libraries - Shared object "libz.so.5" not found

I'm on 9.0 Release AMD64 and did not have Compat8x installed from ports whi=
ch fixed the issue=2C but I am wondering what (apart from upgrading *all* p=
orts) would be the correct approach to find out which port needs to be upda=
ted so that whatever references the libz.so.5 version instead of libz.so.6 =
gets updated?

This is very confusing to me because I got the error with php=2C and I am o=
n the very latest php5-5.3.10_1 version which I would expect to reference c=
urrent libraries.

Now I also have a problem with libssl.so.7=2C which popped up with Samba36.=
 Again I'm wondering what version provides the .7 incarnation.
I found a comment (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D21886) that=
 this library is part of security/openssl but a reinstall just now of opens=
sl only gave me libssl.so.8=2C so that's no longer valid. Creating a link t=
o libssl.so.7 fixes the problem but is probably not the correct approach.

I guess the summary of the above is the question how one should go about ke=
eping/getting the right library versions. Or is that really a port problem =
because they do not keep step with dependencies?

An explanation in layman's terms would be appreciated :-)

Thanks=2C

Caro
 		 	   		  =