Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:38:43 +1000
From:      phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   copyright

well I appreciate from a theoretical point of view that the bsd copyright
may be more pure,
but if the present copyright makes programmers uncomfortable donating code,
then we should try to accomodate them. as far as i can see freeware is
freeware, I like many who use freebsd really don't care about the
copyright, we are primarily interested in getting a free feed.
I think if you ask most freebsders if they understand the Berkeley
copyright, they''ll probably be like me and say who cares!
I have noticed that dogmatism, leads to irrelevance ... aka many
unspecified religions, political groups, et al.
The whole premise of free software that IT is not only for the rich  ...
Arguing about the mechanations of GPL and BSD copyrights tends to only
benefit the rich and those that don't enter into the debate.
Maybe we should advocate freebsd inc. becoming a registered charity just to
maintain the legal and ideological purity.
afterall, if freebsd is a development of the original BSD project, surely
the copyright can be developed too.
<insert random unix rant>
maybe advocacy is becoming an irrelevent part of the freebsd project.