Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:19:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Sean-Paul Rees <sean@seanrees.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 4.1-20000807-STABLE install failure.

The problem isn't with the HTTP proxy code, it's with the IPv6 address that has
automatically been chosen for your NIC.

The "DAD" mentioned in the debug window is IPv6 Duplicate Address Detection and
is used to ensure that no two machines on the same network choose the same IPv6
address. I'm not sure why this is failing on your machine, since it is based on
the IEEE EUI-64 address hardcoded into your NIC.

I guess, since it's very unlikely you need IPv6, the most sensible thing to do
would be to disable IPv6 support. I know this can be achieved in an installed
system, but I'm unsure how to do so on an install floppy.

Perhaps someone else will jump in and help you out here. ;-)

I just thought I'd offer up what information I had.

On 08-Aug-00 Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
> New IP Address(lnc0): x.x.x.137
> New Subnet Mask (lnc0): 255.255.255.0
> New Broadcast Address(lnc0): x.x.x.0
> New Routers: x.x.x.100
> lnc0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address fe80:0001::0250:56ff:fe9a:9e01: 1
> NS, 0 NA
> lnc0: DAD complete for fe80:0001::0250:56ff:fe9a:9e01 - duplicate found
> lnc0: manual intervention required
> DEBUG: Fatal error 'Fatal Error: Null name or value passed to
> set_variable2!'!
>
> A friend installed 3.4-R just fine, but I'd rather keep with the 4.x
> branch. Is the HTTP Proxy code bummed?

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org