Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:06:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, roman@harmonic.co.il, keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Subject:   RE: OOPS.. (Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support

On 15-Jan-01 opentrax@email.com wrote:
> On  1 Jan, Michael C . Wu wrote:

>> I do not recall ever having such trouble with newpcm, nor
>> has newpcm been troublesome for people.  If newpcm
>> does not probe, the boot process continues on.  There is no
>> "probe problem."
>>
>> JMJr: Stop spreading baseless, false information like this, please.
>>
> Baseless, my eye you pinhead.
> Our company has been doing sound for over 10 years.
> I've witnessed this lockup many times. So get off it. :-)

So this code infringes on your market and its in your best interest to
discredit it.  Ok.  FWIW, Cameron Grant has been writing sound drivers for 10
years, so this isn't an amateurish attempt.  Also, I have _yet_ to have a
problem with pcm hanging during probe.  Ever.  On both ISA and PCI cards.

>> | Yes, I really hope that it doesn't make it into the GENERIC.
>> | GENERIC kernel should provide fully functional and stable machine without
>> | bells and whistles. Sound is a luxury.
>>
>> "Fully functional" for a desktop implies a working sound card too.
>> This is one of of those things that does not really matter very much.
>> A good server admin will recompile and customize his kernel.
>> And a desktop user probably does not know how to compile a kernel.
>> Are you telling me that, in your consultancy, you just keep GENERIC?
>>
>> There is no need for this bikeshed.  Whether pcm is included in GEERIC
>> or not does not really hurt anybody either way.
>>
> Someone suggested that it go into KLM. That's a good suggestion.

That has been done.  GENERIC and kld's (d, not m) are two different things
however.