Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:39:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can I do this with a midi program?

On 08-Feb-2002 Sue Blake wrote:
> I have some tunes as midi files that I want to edit.

I should start by saying that, unfortunately, MIDI editing software for
Unix is by and large vastly inferior to anything existing on other
platforms.  Are you prepared to use the dreaded Windows?  :-)

> Each note has to have its length altered slightly,

Adjusting lengths is fairly simple in MIDI (given a decent editor).

> and some
> notes need to start soft and get louder, others start loud and
> get soft, or have a loudness bulge in the middle then fade off
> to inaudible. Like a fancy singer might do.

This is difficult, if not impossible, to attain in MIDI, due to the
limitations of the MIDI format.  It's possible to specify a velocity for a
note (essentially "how hard to hit it"), but modifying the volume of a
currently playing note is only possible if you adjust the volume of the
entire MIDI device, meaning ALL voices are affected.

I use Cakewalk for Windows, myself.  A very nice and versatile program.  A
pared-down (but still quite functional) version called "Cakewalk Music
Studio" is available at a reasonable price.  The full-blown Cakewalk will
run you several hundred dollars (!).

There are other MIDI apps for Windows that are quite popular: Cubase comes
to mind immediately.  Again, you'll pay dearly for a full package.

You could always try scouring the *.warez and alt.binaries.sounds.utilities
newsgroups, I suppose.  :-)

Hope this helps somewhat.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

Antonym, n.:
        The opposite of the word you're trying to think of.