Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:15:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions regarding CVSup port to FreeBSD/sparc64

I've made a preliminary port of Modula-3 to FreeBSD/sparc64 so we
can get CVSup running on that platform.  I've run into a few
problems and have some questions.

First, how close are we to having a working gdb on that platform?  I
am able to cross-compile a bootstrap compiler, producing a bunch of
assembly language files.  Those assemble and link fine on the
sparc64.  But the resulting program gets a segmentation violation
immediately when I run it.  Without a debugger it's practically
impossible to determine what's going wrong.

Also, I have a question about the proper gcc configuration for
this platform.  I configured the Modula-3 back end (a hacked up
gcc) for the target "sparc64-sun-elf".  Is that likely to produce
correct code for FreeBSD?  NOTE, the only thing that matters is the
code generation.  The compiler doesn't use the C front end, so it
doesn't care about header file search paths, C-specific things, or
much of anything else.  Only the translation from trees to machine
instructions matters.

John